11.16.2009

WARNING!!! Spoilers Ahead!!!

For over a week now, I have had this thought in my head. It isn't always there, but it's come up a few times. I remember when this thought first entered my head, I couldn't stop thinking about it for probably 30 minutes straight. And here it is. I feel like Gentile (non-Jewish) Christians have read a summary of the movie and then watched it. What I mean is this - We are often told that we are sinners in the same breath as we are told that Jesus came to save us. For me, I don't even remember the first time I heard this. But I know I heard it early and I heard it often. I was so glad that Jesus came to save me I said "The Prayer" when I was maybe 5. Notice I don't say that I got saved then or became a Christian then. I just know that at the age of 5 I didn't want to burn forever and as far as I could tell, that prayer would save me from that happening. I was very wrong, but that's another topic for another day. But anyway, back to the topic at hand. Gentiles hear that Jesus saves before we even know what we're supposed to be saved from. Now think about the Jewish people. For thousands of years the Jewish people have been oppressed. They have had their land taken from them, fought to regain it, had it taken again, etc... All this time they have heard that a Messiah is coming to save them. They study the Old Testament front and back. They look for the clues of the coming Messiah all the time. They know the prophecies. A King is coming. The idea of a coming savior is ingrained in the Jewish faith and culture. The Jewish people are desperate. Now imagine a young Jewish person who begins to study the life of Jesus. He reads that Jesus was born of a virgin in Bethlehem, was teaching at synagogues as a young boy, was ridiculed and killed, rose again..... These are just a few of the hundreds of prophecies that Jesus fulfilled. As the reader begins to understand and believe what he is reading, a thought begins to form in the back of his mind - "This is HIM. This is the Messiah! The one we have been waiting for thousand of years actually came thousand of years ago! How did we miss him?" Can you imagine the joy? I remember the joy I felt when I truly decided that Jesus was worth my life. It was amazing. But can you imagine? This is your religion, your family, your culture. Everything hangs on this and you just discovered it! That is like watching the movie and living and dying with every plot twist. That analogy seems very weak to express the thought that's in my head, but it's the best I can come up with. Jewish people don't hear the answer before the question like Gentiles often do. It's hard for me to wrap my head around the thought of realizing you have found the One that your people have been waiting for. How could you not go out and tell everyone you know about Jesus? And the same question can be asked for Gentiles.

1 comment:

  1. We know all bout them Gentiles! that's all we talk about in Bible. we <3 you! -Maddox and Vanessa

    p.s. have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete