11.23.2009

What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?

You've been asked this question before, right? Or at least heard it? I don't particularly care for this question. I suppose the point is you answer with some amazing idea and then whoever asks the question says "Well then go for it!!!!!!!" (Note the excess of exclamation marks. That is merely a textual representation of the highly motivated question asker). The situation is ok in theory, but near worthless in practice. You have probably also heard that anyone can do anything they put their mind to. That is a false statement. I hate to burst bubbles, but that's my take on all that. If a rooster wants nothing in life except to lay an egg, he won't lay an egg. He's not built for it. He may want it more than anything else, he may focus all his attention on laying an egg, but it ain't gonna happen. Now let's get back to the original question : What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail? If I knew I couldn't fail I would go to the top of a huge building, jump off, and fly. All throughout my childhood my wishes (birthdays, shooting stars, etc.) were aimed towards me somehow having the ability to fly. So that's what I would do. But guess what - I most certainly can fail in that endeavor. And whatever moron tells me to "Go for it!!!!!!!" maybe needs to try it out before telling me to. More often than not, when given an answer like mine, the question asker will smile as if you have just told a funny joke and, gathering patience as if with a third grader, ask you to be more reasonable. That is the point I am trying to get to. You can fail. Let me get at that again - You. Can. Fail. People don't like to hear that. It's much more reassuring to hear that we will succeed in all that we do. But we probably won't. We will fall flat on our faces, get bloodied, bruised, beaten (alliteration) and laughed at. And life goes on. Confucius said (Is he quoting Confucius? Oh goodness, get that boy to a church quick!) that "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." And fall we will. But will we get back up? Will we continue to strive for the greatest or shrink and settle in fear of falling? Falling is not fun at all. It is hurtful, embarassing, and ugly. But will we decide that the bruises along the way will be worth it in the end? Make no mistake, you will fail at times in your life. The question is, what will you do knowing that you can fail?

2 comments:

  1. Um...that is awesome! I think you should risk failing and come attempt to teach my eighth graders how to write like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff brother. Very right, we will fail; in failing lies our greatest opportunities. Noone cares what you can do when you're on your feet, it is when you have been knocked to your backside "bloodied, bruised, and beated" that people start to pay attention to what you will do. Anyone could box if they never got hit in the face, people start watching after you get knocked the f out (Chris Tucker) to see how strong you really are. It is our option to use that opportunity, in our weakness, to show our strength. From a spiritual standpoint, this is our opportunity to show how powerful our God really is. People don't care when your up, people start watching when your down. The harder the fall, the more they pay attention.

    ReplyDelete